Well, now you can! I’ve developed a pair of tools for that allow this when used in concert. Both are Open Source, of course.
- A “monitorfiles” tool (github) that can execute any command when a monitored file changes
- A “Remote Control” Firefox extension (addons.mozilla.org) (github) that listens to events from “monitorfiles” to refresh the browser when any such files change.
Do you like it? I do!
Here are some of the things that I’d like to improve, but for now it works fine for me:
- A Chrome extension would be nice too, but that requires some more work.
- Some investigation as to how to integrate this into e.g. Eclipse instead of requiring “monitorfiles”. (But I don’t use Eclipse myself, so that isn’t low-hanging fruit for me)
- Look at the github links for more information including known outstanding issues.